Trying to setup programming PIC12C671

Topics related to the Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP

Trying to setup programming PIC12C671

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:38

I can't seem to figure out from the manual and help files how to get this setup. The Device says 4000h to 4007h in buffer, Config Word 400Eh to 400Fh, but I don't see anyplace that this will work, and when I tried to program using customers program and specs for timer, etc, I get an error message not listed in help file, "higher memory not empty, higher memory will not be programmed." and the customer says the one chip we programmed as a test was a failure. We have pulled a program off of a known good chip, and our programmed one still failed. How do I setup my 48XP with latest (6.02) software up for a Microchip PIC12C671? Help? Please?

John Patricelli

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: Trying to setup programming PIC12C671

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 21 Feb 2013 12:34

Dear Mr Patricelli,

When selecting the PIC12C671 device in the software the following message is displayed:

ID's are located from 4000h to 4007h in the buffer, and the Configuration Word is from 400Eh to 400Fh.
You can also set ID's and Configuration Words by pressing Alt-G.

The first step is to carry out a blank check on your device. If the blank check fails then any further actions on the device will also fail or will not produce the expected results. It is good practice to READ and blank PIC such as this into the buffer before you load your file. As this device is organised x14 the default blank state is 3FFFh. LOADing a blank device into the buffer will fill the buffer with this correct blank state, if your file contains any gaps, the correct blank state will be present in these gaps. This catches many people out!

I suspect that the error you were seeing relating to the higher memory is due to the device not being blank. Performing the above mentioned BLANK check on the device as the first step, would identify this.

Reading a known-good device into the buffer as a MASTER will copy both the user data and configuration words (as long as it is not protected). Once this data is in the buffer you can program it onto a new blank device. Please note that programming the user data and programming the configuration words is a two step process, pressing the Prog. button will program the user data into the device but will not touch the configuration words. In order to program the configuration words you must press the Prot. or protect button. This Prot. step can be tied into the Prog. command by selecting the MemProt/ProgCfig option in the Option menu (F4). As long as your target device is blank and good, you will end up with an exact copy of the master device.

If loading your data from a file, then as long as the configuration word values are located in the buffer in the above mentioned locations then they will also be applied and will be visible in our software under the configuration window (Alt+G).

I hope this helps, however, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Best regards
Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP”