Microchip - PIC18Cxxx Configuration Bits

General topics relating to devices and programming

Microchip - PIC18Cxxx Configuration Bits

Postby Guest » 10 Nov 2011 10:44

I have selected the PIC18C252 for my current project, and have not had success programming the configuration bits with the D48. I have used the dataman software configuration screen (alt-g) and this does not work. I tried using Microchips CONFIG directives, this also does not work. The way I have tested this is by changing the OSC2/RA6 settings so that the output on this pin is OSC/4. The pin ALWAYS floats with no output clock (the default is to have this pin be an I/O pin so that it would float unless set or cleared). Is there a different way to set these configuration bits with the dataman software so it will actually program on the chip?

Greg Geaman

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: Microchip - PIC18Cxxx Configuration Bits

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 10 Nov 2011 10:45

Hello Greg,

Please take the following steps to set the Prog Config Data.

1. Load the file
2. Set the configuration (Alt G) to check if the configuration is set correctly
3. Edit the buffer values to your requirements.
4. Perform programming. You must enable the memory protection in the chip first.

This should solve your problem

Neil

Postby Guest » 10 Nov 2011 10:45

Neil,
Is there a reason why the memory protection must be enabled? If I enable this then the microcontroller is only good for OTP. I did this with one of my chips to test, it does seem to program the configuration bits but now this chip can not be erased (it is a UV erase device). The rest of the configuration bits are suppose to able to be set without memory protection. Can this programmer or the software not support this operation?

Greg

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 10 Nov 2011 10:45

Hi again,

The enable memory protection feature will not protect the chip, if the configuration byte is not set to protect enabled.
In the chip when you enter configuration, page 2 has a protection enabled. If this is set as unprotected even with memory protection on in the device operation option the chip will not protect after it has been programmed.

Neil

Return to “Devices and Programming”