An idiots guide?

General topics relating to devices and programming
christopherpm

An idiots guide?

Postby christopherpm » 28 Jun 2013 09:26

Hi all,

I have a Dataman S3 that I bought a few years ago, but have never used. I now have need to program a couple of EPROMS.

I have NEVER programmed an EPROM before and although I have the S3 manual, it doesn't really make an awful lot of sense to me.

I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 8. The laptop doesn't have a serial port, and so I have a Belkin F5U527 USB->Serial adapter. I use this adapter with a serial cable for transferring files to my Amiga using RS232 so it should work.

Anyway, I would rather program my own EPROMS than buy them pre-programmed, so can anyone point me in the direction of an idiots guide to EPROM programming (preferably with the S3)?

Kind regards
Chris

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: An idiots guide?

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 16 Jul 2013 14:33

Hello Chris,

Perhaps if you can tell me what stage you managed to get to I will be able to help. The S3 programmer is almost 30 years old now so it may not support the EPROM devices that you have.

All the information we hold on the S3 can be seen on our website here.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

christopherpm

Re: An idiots guide?

Postby christopherpm » 16 Jul 2013 17:34

Hi Neil,

I'm as far as getting it out of the box again! I've downloaded all of the software. I have it connected to a Windows XP (32 Bit) laptop via a USB->RS232 adapter (a Belkin model which gets a COM port assignment). All of the EPROMS I have are old (BBC Micro old!)

I have a bundle of ROM images on my computer, and I'd like to burn at least a couple. The problem is, I just don't know what I'm doing! I don't know how to tell what type of EPROM device I have, I don't know how to send the ROM image to the S3 from the computer and then burn it...

Sorry!

Chris

Return to “Devices and Programming”