48Pro2/2C for ISP of Altera EPM9400 208pin

General topics relating to devices and programming
seandeg

48Pro2/2C for ISP of Altera EPM9400 208pin

Postby seandeg » 08 Apr 2014 15:24

Hi to all,

I have a legacy 40Pro which does not support Altera MAX EPM9400 208pin devices. So, am considering purchase of a 48Pro2 or 48Pro2C.

I had a look at the manual and specifications for both. Can not see a mapping between DATAMAN pinout for ISP cable and standard JTAG pinout however. The boards I have with the Altera EMP9400 devices have a 10 pin JTAG ( which I presume is an Altera specific pinout probably to match their cables ). Would like to be certain of which DATAMAN ISP cable pins match with standard JTAG signals ( only 4 I believe, plus GNDs and power ).

The ISP cable on 48Pro2/C is 20 pin, while the 40Pro is 10 pin, and likewise the JTAG pins on my board. Can I presume the additional 10 pins on the 20 pin connectors are redundant ?

Possibly there is a document mapping DATAMAN ISP pinout to standard JTAG ? a pointer or link to such would appreciated. Or any advice on best way to proceed.

thanks,
seandeg

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: 48Pro2/2C for ISP of Altera EPM9400 208pin

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 08 Apr 2014 15:36

Hello seandeg,

The pinout description of the ISP connector is provided in the control software itself. When a device is selected in ISP mode (ISP) then under the "Device info" there is a tab called "ISP connection details":
Image1.jpg
ISP connection details
I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

seandeg

Postby seandeg » 08 Apr 2014 16:18

Thanks Neil,

that answers all JTAG related questions I think. Great response.

Do you have any knowledge of successful application of the 48Pro2 or 48Pro2C to those Altera devices - MAX EPM9400RC208 ? Would help in justification of a purchase order.

seandeg

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 08 Apr 2014 16:30

Hello seandeg,

I am not sure I know what you mean. Both programmers will allow you to program the device over ISP using either a SVF or JAM format file.

As we mention in the software for this device, before starting any action with the device (in target system) make sure that the Supply voltage in the target system is set (menu Device/Device options/Operation options or press <Alt+O>).

Jam player is only an interpreter and does not include either the programming algorithms nor programming data. Therefore mistakes (such as bad IDcode or programming algorithms) need to be resolved in the developer software of the corresponding manufacturer.

Jam files are generated by design software and include the algorithm for programming the device which is not possible to optimize BY US on the level of the Jam Player / interpreter.

As long as you follow our recommendations in the software for connecting to the target device you should not have any problems.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Devices and Programming”