Can't program Atmel 93C66A

General topics relating to devices and programming

Can't program Atmel 93C66A

Postby Guest » 10 Nov 2011 11:34

I have a problem trying to program Atmel 93C66A serial EEPROMs. I'm using LIB Serial 3.21 on a Dataman S4.

When I use BURN, the process stops at each address where data is different between ROM and RAM. Nothing ever gets modified in the device.

When I use ERASE (FUNC-BURN), the process also stops at each address where data is different between ROM and RAM. Nothing ever gets modified in the device. Interestingly, with the old common library 2.65, trying to erase instead reports that this operation is impossible.

I don't seem to have any problem reading the device. However, using the old LIB 2.65 results in all even and odd bytes being interchanged in each pair. I hope the newest libraries have it right, and the old one had it wrong.

I'm able to burn National 93C66 devices, so can the problem be with Atmel's A version?

Recycleur

Recycleur

Re: Can't program Atmel 93C66A

Postby Recycleur » 23 Aug 2012 20:08

I have exactly the same problem with an Atmel 93C66A. Does anybody at Dataman care to answer?

Thanks
JL

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 30 Aug 2012 08:00

Hello Recycleur,

The only 93C66A device supported on the S4 is under the ICT manufacturer name on library 3.21. I believe there are differences between the Atmel 93C66 and the 66A versions which would explain what you are seeing.

Please try selecting the ICT 93C66A device from the library and see if that allows you to work with your device successfully.

Regards
Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Recycleur

Postby Recycleur » 11 Sep 2012 20:11

Hi Neil

Using ICT 93C66A doesn't work either. No erase, no burn. Data just doesn't want to change. I have no problem burning other chips like the National 93C66, only those Atmel give me trouble.

Atmel's datasheet states the following:
ERASE/WRITE DISABLE (EWDS): To protect against accidental data disturb, the Erase/Write Disable (EWDS) instruction disables all programming modes and should be executed after all programming operations.
ERASE/WRITE ENABLE (EWEN): To assure data integrity, the part automatically goes into the Erase/Write Disable (EWDS) state when power is first applied. An Erase/Write Enable (EWEN) instruction must be executed first before any programming instructions can be carried out.

Is the S4 algorithm performing an EWEN?

JL

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 13 Sep 2012 08:58

Hello Recycleur,

The S4 is no longer a current product and there is no work being done on it with regard to adding new device support. I am afraid that I can only recommend one of our current products which support the Atmel 93C66A device directly.

The Dataman-40Pro is the closest replacement to the S4. It supports pretty much all of the devices the S4 does plus a lot more. Details of thie programmer can be seen on our website here.

I believe the Dataman 40Pro to be the best in its class on the market worldwide at the moment. The Dataman 40Pro offers fast programming speeds and includes advanced features such as ISP capability, USB 2.0 interface and comprehensive software compatible with Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista and 7 (320bit & 64-bit). The Dataman 40Pro supports over 29,500 devices which is updated every 3 - 4 weeks with each update adding hundreds of new chips. Support can be added for missing devices quickly and typically free of charge.

The programmer comes as standard with our 3 year parts and labour warranty, free life-time technical support and software updates.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Devices and Programming”