Parallel port issues, XP, and solution

Topics related to the Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP

Parallel port issues, XP, and solution

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:51

I have just got my Dataman 48XP to work after a day or two muddling around with various settings and so on, and just thought I'd post my findings. I had been using the programmer on another XP machine with no problems, but on my own machine, that appeared to be set up exactly the same, I would get the error message that the Dataman wasn't connected.

This turned out to be down to the parallel port mode. On my machine, the parallel port was in ECP mode in the BIOS, as stated in your online FAQ. In fact, the Dataman requires ECP+EPP mode enabled in the BIOS for it to work. (To further add to the confusion, Windows XP will still report this as being in ECP mode, which is why I didn't pick it up sooner.)

It might be helpful if you updated your online FAQ to mention ECP+EPP mode as I'm sure I'm not the only XP user who's run across this problem. Thanks!

Chris Howe

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: Parallel port issues, XP, and solution

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 11 Nov 2011 11:51

Chris,

I think this is down to the type of parallel interface that different PC manufacturers use. I have tested with an XP system here and the port set to just ECP mode and it works OK.

I will amend the application notes to reflect these differences.

Neil

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:51

Just received my 48UXP and installed the software before plugging in the programmer into USB (as per normal USB device installation e.g. drivers must be installed prior to new hardware detection).

When I plugged the programmer in, I got the new hardware detected but Windows complained that no driver could be found. I tried manual installation of "new hardware" and also de-installation followed by reinstallation to no avail.

I'm using a legacy free PC (no parallel port) under Windows XP Pro SP2. I have numerous USB devices and have not experienced a single problem before.

Obviously, the programmer is not detected and application enters Demo Mode.

Dave McKelvie
Yarg Biometrics

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:52

Up to yesterday i was happy to have the Dataman software V.5.80 running, using a LPT interface not integrated on the PC's mainbord.
The used PCI slot card offers two LPT interfaces and works on addresses in the range range 9800 to A400. The programmer was found on A000.
The system (WINXP PRO SR2) worked perfect until i upgraded to Version 6.10. Now, the programmer is not found. The problem seems to be in Version 6.xx, since a test with 6.02 also failed.
P.S. D48XP connected to the mainboard LPT interface runs with V.6.10, but i need this for a copy protetion key of the PCB layout software.

Does anyone have an idea to solve this problem ?

Dieter

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 11 Nov 2011 11:52

Dieter,

Please go to the Option menu, Parallel Port ( Hot Key F5) set the LP1/2/3 or any address manually.

Neil

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:52

I have had similar problems to Dieter Werner, but using Win2000 SP4. I connect the Dataman 48XP on a PCI parallel port, I/O address E400. Version 5.9 works fine, but none of the version 6 variants detects the programmer. I have tried setting the address in the parallel port options to E400 without success. I can use the motherboard LPT1 port, but I also use that for a dongle.

Ian Stuchbury
Data Display UK

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:53

I have the same problem - no parallel port on the mobo so Ihave connected the programmer to a PCI expansion port. I've tried running through the LPT1,2,3 options and also tried direct entry of the IO address to no avail. I'm using Version 6.9 on XPSP2. Where can I find older (5.x) versions of this SW?

Cheers,
Cam

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 11 Nov 2011 11:53

Hello Cam

Due to the non standard way in which the D48 line of programmers utilizes the parallel port they will only work with an on board parallel port set to either ECP or preferably EPP mode. We have tested many PCI expansion ports and USB to Parallel solutions with little success.

While Ian Stuchbury above may have had some luck with the older versions of the software detecting the programmer we found this setup to be unstable with random programming errors occurring.

Another solution is the UXP upgrade kit which will give you a USB 2.0 port as well as the parallel port on the programmer. Full details can be found on our website under Accessories > D48/LV/XP/UXP

Regards,

Neil

Return to “Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP”