S4 with new battery

Topics related to the Dataman S4

S4 with new battery

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011 16:02

Hi Guys,
I've just replaced both the lithium battery & main battery pack in my S4 (Main battery bought from dataman) Problem is the battery is showing full but will only last for a 1 min or so from batery, if i connect the charger & press info it shows the charger is connected but off (charger checked with meter) and it wont allow me to press the right arrow key to turn the charger on even though it is obviously running from it as it will stay powered up like this.

I've tried holding the reset button in for 30secs while powered off but no luck.

Any suggestions.. The unit was working fine prior to this.

Craig Walker

Re: S4 with new battery

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011 16:02

I do have the same problem with two S4 programmers.

Any help for this?

Thomas

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: S4 with new battery

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 14 Nov 2011 16:02

This is the most common issue with the S4.

The charging current is controlled by the internal micro, simply connecting up the charger does not do anything. The unit has to have enough power to boot up properly. This would allow the micro to establish itself, query the battery status and turn the charging current on if needed. With a pack voltage anything below 8.4V this will not occur.

In order to get the unit back up and running you need to give it a "kick start" so to speak. This is done by connecting the charger up and with the S4 off pressing and holding the reset switch for about 30 seconds. This bypasses the charging control and allows current to flow into the battery.

Once the battery has had 30 seconds or so of current flowing into it, you should be able to power the unit up and enter the INFO display. If it reports the charger being turned OFF, hit the right arrow key to force it to turn on.

Once the unit is back up and running with a library loaded I would force it to charge once more just to give the battery pack a really good charge.

If you are still experiencing poor battery performance then I would recommend that you replace the battery pack or return the unit to us for repair.

Return to “Dataman S4”