checksum recalculation when placing flash back on to the target device

Topics related to the Dataman 48Pro2
tomanycars

checksum recalculation when placing flash back on to the target device

Postby tomanycars » 10 Oct 2021 10:56

i was wondering if there was a option to create a checksum as a image is being taken off a target device and ability to recalculate the checksum if and when its edited. to be reinstalled back on to the target chip.

thanks

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: checksum recalculation when placing flash back on to the target device

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 11 Oct 2021 11:47

Hello tomanycars,

I am not sure I understand this request. The checksum of the data in the buffer is always reflected in the checksum value shown in the software below the activity log window. If you load a new file or read data from a device, then this checksum will automatically be recalculated.
Capture.PNG
If I have misunderstood then please let me know.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

tomanycars

Postby tomanycars » 12 Oct 2021 09:13

hi sorry it seemed very vague what i was trying to saying.

so for example i have a MPC556 - with an external flash of Am29BL802C.( the Am29BL802C can be removed without damaging the flash)

I have an unmodified version of the BIN file i have taken from the flash. i just ran it through the dataman and i completely didn't see it "see's" the current checksum in the activity log Duh to me!.. the current checksum of the unmodified file is FA55C4C9h, i have done a test run on the recalculation of the unmodified BIN, so i can understand how the dataman checksum calculates the checksum. i run the option "copy settings into buffer , from & TO" then Proceed to the next page with all the MD5 hash's & byte WORD etc , its recalculated the checksum for me but it asks me to ...."insert address", i have skim read the help me section but its not very clear what that actually is meant to mean , i did try and look to see if i could find where the current checksum is located but again its not very clear either. , i can only assume that means insert recalculated checksum at an address location :?: :?:

ultimately what i wish to have the unmodified BIN file modified and then have the checksum recalculated and then written to the flash. , but i needed to get a feel of how the dataman software works before i do something completely wrong.

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 13 Oct 2021 13:07

I am sorry but I am still not clear on what you need.

The formulation of a "correct checksum" and a "wrong checksum" must be based on the exact description of the formula for how the checksum is calculated, on the range of addresses and of course on the data used for the calculation.

The Am29BL802C is a x16 device, therefore all x8 checksum calculations (including MD5 and SHA-1) depend on the big/little endian organization of the file.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

tomanycars

Postby tomanycars » 13 Oct 2021 16:34

its probably me explaining very badly :cry:

the picture below is me loading the file i wish to be able too perform a checksum on. currently the dataman doesn't have the chip loaded , so please ignore the fact a MPC chip has been selected.
its probably me explaining very badly :cry:
loaded file pic 1.jpg
the picture below is when i navigate to the view/buffer section. i selected checksum , and then clicked the main checksum options , the .bin files checksum has been found
checksum calculator tab.jpg
then i clicked the from & to option to fill the checksum information. i then pressed apply.
then i moved over too the next tab
then I pressed calculate & it has populated the info
next it comes up with an error. but this is the bit that is a little confusing as its not exactly clear what that is meant to mean.
clicked calculated and info populated.jpg
so in summary what i want to do is edit this file shown in the examples , but recalculate the file and then flash it back to the target chip. but i keep getting an error which isn't very clear at all

tomanycars

Postby tomanycars » 13 Oct 2021 16:46

not exctly sure whats happened to the post but i cant get it to modify what i am trying to say.

it looks like the pictures do not line up with what i am trying to explain..

the picture below is when i navigate to the view/buffer section. i selected checksum , and then clicked the main checksum options , the .bin files checksum has been found
view edit buffer and seleted the mainchecksum options.jpg

then i clicked the from & to option to fill the checksum information. i then pressed apply.
clicked checksum - from and To.jpg
then i moved over too the next tab

tomanycars

Postby tomanycars » 13 Oct 2021 16:51

then i clicked calculate. and then it populated the info
clicked calculated and info populated.jpg

then i clicked calculate and insert but i get an error.
error.jpg

so in summary what i want to do is edit this file shown in the examples , but recalculate the file and then flash it back to the target chip. but i keep getting an error which isn't very clear at all

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 14 Oct 2021 09:03

OK, the error message appears to be telling you that you cannot insert the calculated checksum starting at an address that was used as part of the checksum calculation itself.

You must specify an address outside the range of addresses that you were calculating the checksum over.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

tomanycars

Postby tomanycars » 27 Feb 2022 17:23

hi

thanks for the reply.... very sorry for the delay its been very busy! apologies..

ok so its still rather confusing , I am soon having a batch of ecu's which carry a legacy Infineon SAK-TC1767-256Fxxx series chip , i have seen that the dataman device covers that chip which is a win , now it would be extremely handy for me to be able to clone each target chip then place it onto a new replacement chip that will be replaced from the damaged chip.. now the problem i have is they will require a checksum coming out and going back in. , as each target chip has device specific data and can not be mixed up.

so when i read the help section for the checksum it explain what it can do , and how its done , fine no issue there. , when information is drawn from a target device it would appear that a checksum is created in this feature , so logic suggests when its being put back in and recalculating the checksum it should go back in the same location , but it doesn't tell me where that is? , so i can't save it anywhere as it might not work.... :?:

again sorry for the delay its been mad for months! , i would love to be able to work this feature worked out as it would be so much quicker for this batch i am soon to receive.

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 28 Feb 2022 11:48

Hello,

Did you see the info that we provide for this device:
General Info:
Flash module PFlash0 includes 2MB of PFlash memory - buffer named PFlash0.
DFlash includes 64kB of additional data flash memory - buffer named DFlash.
Supported address range:
PFlash0 - 80000000h-801FFFFFh, A0000000h-A01FFFFFh, mapped to 0h-1FFFFFh (buffer named PFlash0)
DFlash0 - 8FE00000h-8FE07FFFh, AFE00000h-AFE07FFFh, mapped to 0h-7FFFh (buffer named DFlash)
DFlash1 - 8FE10000h-8FE17FFFh, AFE10000h-AFE17FFFh, mapped to 8000h-FFFFh (buffer named DFlash)

Due to internal technical reasons of software the save file is supported only as Intel HEX file type, we are sorry for this inconvenience.
PFlash0 - 80000000h-801FFFFFh
DFlash0 - 8FE00000h-8FE07FFFh
DFlash1 - 8FE10000h-8FE17FFFh

If you have performed a READ on a master device then the data in the buffer or the HEX file if you save it out to your PC contains all the information from the device, in the correct places. In order to program this data onto a new blank device you just need to make sure you select the correct areas of the device to program based on the buffer data you observe from the master device:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.96 KiB) Viewed 13031 times
If there is a date in all mentioned locations then you would select all three areas to program.

If I have misunderstood your post then please let me know.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers Ltd

Return to “Dataman 48Pro2”