Linux MTD bad block table

Topics related to the Dataman 48Pro2
adhawkins

Linux MTD bad block table

Postby adhawkins » 10 Mar 2016 20:06

Hi,

We're using a Dataman Pro 2 to program a Spansion NAND device, which is organised in 2k pages with 64 bytes of spare area per page.

Were using the BCH ECC scheme, which uses the spare area for both data and ECC, meaning that the standard bad block markers are overwritten during the programming process. As such, we need the programmer to create a Linux MTD compatible bad block table.

We're using the MTD Compatible bad block scheme, and are trying to get the settings for the bad block table correct. We've found that the Dataman software seems to put the bad block tables in the OOB area of the first page of a block, with the bad block table signatures occurring 8 bytes into the OOB area. Our software (standard linux and u-boot) is expecting the bad block table signature to be in the data area of the last page of the block, with the signature starting at the first byte of the data area of a page.

Can you please assist us in getting the Dataman 48Pro2 to place the bad block table in the correct location? Unless we can do this, we lose all record of any manufacturer provided bad blocks, which is obviously far from ideal. Is there any documentation on the various bad block table placement options, including details of the format of the table that is written? I haven't been able to find anything beyond an application note that details the basic NAND programming options.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: Linux MTD bad block table

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 11 Mar 2016 11:43

Hello Andy,

Which device selection are you using in our software?

We are working on a more up to date document for the NAND FLASH devices. It is currently in draft form but can be downloaded here.

If this doesn't help, please let me know.

Regards
Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

adhawkins

Postby adhawkins » 11 Mar 2016 11:46

The device type selected is a Spansion S34ML02G100Txx00 [TSOP48].

I'll have a look through the document you've posted.

It now appears that it might be because we're using the BCH ECC scheme, which uses a 'non-standard' placement for the bad block table. Is this scheme supported (or could it be) within the Dataman software?

Thanks

Andy

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 11 Mar 2016 12:11

Andy,

Can you point me towards the document which describes the BCH ECC scheme that you are using? We should be able to add it as a custom implementation in the software if required.

Regards
Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Dataman 48Pro2”