LEDS on Dataman XP glow with power off

Topics related to the Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP

LEDS on Dataman XP glow with power off

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:11

I've got a Dataman 48 XP (recently upgraded from an LV model).

It's connected to a Dell Latitude C840 via the port replicator's parallel port.

With my PC switched ON, and the Dataman 48 XP switched OFF, all of the LEDS (Busy, Error and Good) all start to glow softly. This doesn't happen as soon as the Dataman 48 XP is switched OFF, rather it takes some time for this to happen.

After several bad experiences with PCs left on for years at a time, I've come to be suspicious of the lifetime of switchmode power supplies (mainly capacitors giving up the ghost), and so I prefer to leave the Dataman 48 switched OFF, but still connected to the parallel cable, when I'm not using it for extended periods.

I do not ever recall the Dataman 48 LV lighting these LEDS when left OFF and still connected to my port replicator. I'm wondering what has changed with the Dataman 48 XP circuitry. It's as if the programmer is trying to draw power somehow from the parallel port cable. The glow of the LEDS is just that, a glow rather than being fully lit as they are when the units is powered ON.

Should I be worried ? What is the right thing to do ?

Cheers

Jason Armistead

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: LEDS on Dataman XP glow with power off

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 11 Nov 2011 11:11

Hi Jason,

We think that this is due to a minor compatability issue between some PC's and the Dataman 48XP. This is not a problem at all and as long as your PC and your Dataman 48XP are communicating then this is not something that you need to be concerned about.

Best regards,

Neil

Return to “Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP”