ICSP programming flash PIC devices

Topics related to the Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP

ICSP programming flash PIC devices

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011 11:38

Having just had to bump up the processor from an 18f452 (PLCC44 univ adaptor) to an 18f6585, to get more resources, I needed a way to burn this. A download gave me a (beta) version 18f6585 for the 48XP but only for the qfp64 package, and I am using the PLCC68 version. I tried to get the relevant signal pinning info from Neil, but no luck. The 'adaptors' file of 2003 has fallen into disuse. My design has the ICSP programming method included, so I dug out a scope and looked for the needed signal pins while programming the selected 'phantom' device. Make a (keep it short) connecting lead using a 40-pin DIL socket (in this case) and whatever you have on your board. You need Vpp/MCLR (+12V) from pin 5, RB7 (data) from pin 24, RB6 (clock) from pin 27, +5v from pin 36, and 0v from pin 20. Hook to the relevant device pins.

As a general thing, any flash PIC with ICSP (most of them now) can be investigated this way, and a lead made up. You can tell clock from data pins if you load a file with real data to do your 'phantom' device programming, because the clock is in regular bit-bursts, but not the data.

DIL devices that go directly in the 48 ZIF socket are done directly from the data sheet, for on-board programmed designs.

Hope this is of use to everybody - please post any other supported non-DIL PICs that you figure out the pinning on, for the general benefit.

Cheers Allan Coaker

Return to “Dataman 48, 48LV, 48XP and 48UXP”