S4 Repair

Topics related to the Dataman S4

S4 Repair

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011 16:41

Hi I have a now really old S4 thats really been through the mill, I have been eagerly awaiting a replacement model but alas there still isnt one available.

Now I use this on a regular basis and its now looking really beaten, no longer works on battery etc...

I was wondering what you get for the £95 repair, looking through the forums Neil has stated it gets a replacement case, does it also get anything else thats wrong inside the unit fixed ?

Also any news on a new handheld :) ???

[email protected]

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: S4 Repair

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 14 Nov 2011 16:42

Hello [email protected],

The standard repair charge covers all work and parts required to get the programmer up and running with the exception of consumables, namely the Ni-cad battery pack and lithium backup cell which are charged separately if found unserviceable.

Further details on our repair service can be found on our website here.

Unfortunately there is nothing in the pipeline regarding a handheld programmer. The Dataman-40Pro is the closest replacement to the S4 in as far as it supports all of the devices the S4 does and a lot more! It does require mains power and a host PC or laptop in order to operate, the physical size of the programmer is actually smaller then S4, so it is still considered portable. More details on the 40Pro can be found here.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Regards,

Neil

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011 16:42

Thanks neil I will probably get both of my programmers returned in that case as they both have faults and one of the cases is really bad.

The 40Pro should not in any way be considered a replacement for the S4, The S4 meets the needs of a lot of people who can't or don't want the hassle of carrying extra equipment, in my case most of the time I cannot get power in the locations I use these in. I bet I can also change info much faster than someone with a pc conected !!!

Your front page still shows an advert for the s4 in the flash banner ;)

[email protected]

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 14 Nov 2011 16:42

Hello [email protected],

I can understand that the 40Pro would not be a suitable replacement in your particular case. However for the majority of our customers the 40Pro is a suitable replacement for the S4 as a bench top programmer. As I said, it supports all of the devices the S4 does plus a whole lot more without the need for family specific modules. With laptops becoming smaller and more powerful and the widespread adoption of the USB interface standard it made sense to offload the processing to the host computer and have the programmer act as an intelligent slave device. This approach allows us to provide support for devices that would just not be possible with a handheld, battery powered programmer.

Regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Support

Return to “Dataman S4”