S4 library, am i able to add a new device?

Topics related to the Dataman S4

S4 library, am i able to add a new device?

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011 16:58

Hi Neil

I would like to either add a device to the S4 library, or create a custom library eprom for 1 rom that the S4 won't at the moment do. All i want to do is read the contents and do a checksum, no programming capacity for the device is needed.

The device is a 9316 masked rom (used in the arcade games of years ago), which is practically identical to the standard generic 5v 2716 eprom, the diference being is pins 18 and 21

2716 for reading has pin 18 LOW 0v, but i need it HIGH 5v for the 9316 rom

2716 for reading has pin 21 HIGH 5v, but i need it LOW 0v for the 9316 rom

The rest of the pins are the same. In other words just swapping pins 18 and 21

I currently use a home made adaptor (which is falling appart) but would be much nicer if i could make some kind of a library for the S4 to alter the pins for reading

(The reading / checksum of this rom is handy as they do go faulty as are getting old, so this function would be very good on the S4 for me to verify there ok)

is this possible?

many thanks
Andrew

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: S4 library, am i able to add a new device?

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 14 Nov 2011 16:58

Hello Andrew,

Unfortunately we cannot release the source materials for the S4 so there is no possibility of modifying any software running on your S4.

As the 9316 device is not supported by any of our programmers and is unlikely to be added in the future.

You could try a quick internet search using "READ 9316 ROM" to see what you get, if you have not already done so.

I am sorry that I could not be of more help on this occasion.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers
Last edited by Dataman (Neil Parker) on 14 Nov 2011 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011 16:59

Hi Neil

thanks for taking the time to reply, looks like i will still continue to use my home made adaptor to read the devices that just does a 18 pin to 21 pin swapover. I sort of gathered it wouldent be possible in the programming, but was worth asking just in case.

The 9316 device was widely used in the arcade games around the 1980's period mainly by Midways, Tatio, Stern and Bally, from arcade games to electronic pinball machines, but i understand its a no no to be added, not much call for reading that device, only by enthusiasts or mad people like me!

anyway thanks again

Andrew

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011 16:59

i would like for this to be added too and for the same reasons.
i know a lot of people into their arcade boards use the S4

JonT

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 14 Nov 2011 16:59

Hello Jon T,

As I have said to andrew96, the S4 is no longer under development so there is no possibility of adding any new devices to the programmer.

Your best bet is to search on-line for how to READ 9316 ROM for example. I believe that you can build a simple pin swap adaptor that will allow you to read the data from this device which will allow you to program it back onto a newer, pin compatible device that is supported by the S4.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Dataman S4”