Programming adapter test - error!

General topics relating to devices and programming
jwdonal

Programming adapter test - error!

Postby jwdonal » 18 Jun 2018 19:35

We are having a major issue with a brand new Dataman 48Pro2 "SuperFast" that we just received in the mail. Serial number: 1176-04996

It will not program any of the PROMs that we typically use and reports the error message "Programming adapter test - error!"

Code: Select all

L0699: Reading device: Adesto Techn. AT45DB041E [SOIC8-150]. L0700: Programming adapter test ... L0701: Searching for programming adapter DIL8W/SOIC8 ZIF 150mil SFlash-2 (ord.no. 70-1269). L0702: A contact problem occurred or bad programming adapter is used -EC:20000300 L0703: Programming adapter test - error! L0704: Elapsed time: 0:00:00.4 L0705: Data checksum of selected buffers: 0837FFC0h - Byte sum (x8), Straight L0706: Statistics info: Success:0 Failure:0 Other failure:4 Total:4
I also created a problem report ZIP file which I can PM to you if you like.

We have tried several troubleshooting measures including:
- Ran programmer self diagnostic test with diagnostic pod (all passed)
- Tried disabling device insertion test (no change in error)
- Tested with software version included in box (3.38) and with newer version 3.41 (no change in error)

We tested the same chips on 2 different programmers - we tested with this new 48Pro2 and with an older 48Pro+. All 3 chips that we tested worked in the 48Pro+ but the 48Pro2 would only read 1 out of 3 of the tested chips.

The chips we tested were:
- Microchip 93LC46B (worked on both programmers)
- Adesto Tech AT45DB041E [SOIC8-150] (only worked on 48Pro+, would not work on 48Pro2)
- Micron N25Q256A13E [SO16W] (only worked on 48Pro+, would not work on 48Pro2)

The microchip device does not require an adapter. However, the last two chips listed do require an adapter and we were using the correct adapter (as shown in device listing) in both cases.

Has something changed in the 48Pro2 from the older 48Pro+ that is not advertised or not immediately obvious?

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: Programming adapter test - error!

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 20 Jun 2018 14:44

Hello jwdonal,

Thank you for posting in our users fourm. The Adesto AT45DB041E device in the SOIC8 150mil package requires the DIL8W/SOIC8 ZIF 150mil SFlash-2 adaptor socket when used with the Dataman-48Pro2, as you can see from the log file extract you provided above. This is also mentioned in our software in the “device info” section.

The Dataman-48Pro2 supports everything the 48Pro+ does, plus many more devices. The only difference being that the 48Pro2 does require different adaptor sockets for certain devices. This difference in adaptor sockets is due to the way in which devices are now supported on the 48Pro2. We have moved to word mode programming as opposed to byte mode, which is significantly faster in most cases, but does need different wiring connections to the target device and as the programmer is not able to switch all possible ZIF signals to all possible positions, different sockets are necessary.

In order to determine which devices need the newer sockets on the 48Pro2 it is necessary to go through a list of the devices you currently program and check the recommended adaptor sockets in our software. If you have a list of devices you currently work with on the 48Pro+ then I would be more than happy to go through it and highlight where the newer sockets would be required.

I will ask our sales team to provide our formal quotation for the DIL8W/SOIC8 ZIF 150mil SFlash-2 socket including availability, this will be with you shortly.

If you have any additional questions, please do to hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Devices and Programming”