TIBPAL16L8-10 PLCC Overcurrent Error

Postby bulaclacja » 01 Jul 2020 07:50

Hello Dataman,

Here's what I have:

Programmer: Dataman48 Pro2
Adapter: DIL20/PLCC20
Device: TIBPAL16L8-10 PLCC

ISSUE:

(Events are arranged in chronological order)

1. I load and read a blank TIBPAL16L8-10, the software is able to load it on buffer and I'm able to view it.
2. I then try to program the device but I get a "Device overcurrent error" on power signal on pin(s) 23,29 of DIL48 ZIF socket.
3. When I re-read the device, I consistently get this overcurrent error.
4. I redo step 1 with a Fresh, Blank TIBPAL16L8-10 and again I'am able to read & view the buffer without any error.
5. I Program the device and again I get the Device overcurrent error.
6. I re-read the device and I get the overcurrent error. It seems I fry my device everytime I program it. :?

I have tried 2 pcs blank TIBPAL16L8 and keep getting this Device overcurrent error everytime I program it.
What could be causing this and how do I resolve it?

Attached is the Report Problem logs.

Please advise and Hoping to hear from you the soonest.
Last edited by bulaclacja on 11 Aug 2020 07:53, edited 2 times in total.

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: TIBPAL16L8-10 PLCC Overcurrent Error

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 01 Jul 2020 11:00

Hello bulaclacja,

Thank you for posting in our users forum. Thank you for the log file, unfortunately it does not reveal the cause of the overcurrent error. An overcurrent error usually indicates a short to ground either in the programmer or in the device (damaged/destroyed). Can I ask you to run the Selftest... from the programmer menu using the diagnostic pod that was supplied with the programmer and let me know the result. This test will reveal any problems with the programmer hardware.

The TIBPAL16L8-10 device requires quite a high current in order to program the fuses, the standard PSU supplied with the programmer may not be sufficient to program these chips. There is a more powerful PSU available for the 48Pro2 which you can see on our website here. This may not be the cause but it is worth being aware of.

Can you confirm that these devices are from a good reliable source?

Finally, if there are no problems during tests on our device samples then we would like to ask you to send us some device samples (with the mentioned errors and in a virgin state) for further testing in our lab, if possible.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

bulaclacja

Postby bulaclacja » 02 Jul 2020 06:41

Hello Neil,

Thank you for the quick feedback.

I ran the selftest and sent the result to [email protected]

The Programmer passes the Selftest and Selftest ISP.

Additional information...
We have verified the 2x device having the error, there were pins shorted to the GND pin of the device.

Comparing it to a Fresh device, no pins are shorted to its GND pins.

I'm assuming the short happened after programming the device because I could no longer read the device after I

programmed them. I could not verify this as I have limited qty of this device. But I can send you a sample of 1 Fresh

and 1 Suspected bad component for you to verify at your lab.

Please provide me your shipping address. You can send the shipping details on my email I used to send the selftest result.

Regards,
bulaclacja

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 02 Jul 2020 08:30

Hello bulaclacja,

Please send the requested samples to us at the following address along with a print out of this post:

Dataman, Inc.
Attn: Pat Vaughn
215 East Michigan Ave.
Orange City
FL 32763
T: 386-774-7785

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Devices and Programming”