SRAM test with S4

Topics related to the Dataman S4
patrick

SRAM test with S4

Postby patrick » 22 Jul 2020 15:33

Hello All,

I want to use my beloved S4 to test static RAMs. Does someone made experience with it? Best would be to find a library for that.

Well, if not, first idea is to use the 8-Bit NVRAM library. In general NVRAMs have same pin assignment and should have the same read and write cycles as normal RAMs. The only change is to supply the device in the S4's ZIF socket between [BURN] and [COMP] because the ZIF will be cold in between. This could be achieved with an adaptor.

Best regards,
Patrick

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: SRAM test with S4

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 22 Jul 2020 15:52

Hello Patrick,

As far as I know a sRAM test feature was never implemented on the S4 hardware.

If you need sRAM test capability then I would recommend considering the Datman-40Pro which has support for static RAM devices in the following series: 6116 .. 624000.

Details of the 40Pro can be found on our website here:
https://www.dataman.com/programmers/dat ... ammer.html

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

patrick

Postby patrick » 14 Sep 2020 09:25

Hello Neil,

thank you for your hint. The Dataman-40Pro is a nice device for sure, but as stated above I want to use the S4 if possible somehow. It is only for private use, no business case.

I figured out that pin 34 of the S4's emulator socket carries 5V when S4 is on. Is this pin able to supply up to 120mA for a SRAM device?

Best regards,
Patrick

patrick

Postby patrick » 09 Nov 2020 15:42

Hello,

I built up an adaptor to use with the NVRAM lib and – it works great! :D In the picture testing of a fast static RAM (cache RAM) can be seen.
SRAMadptr.jpg
Pin 34 of the emulation header can be used to supply the RAMs. I noticed that Dataman counts the pins different to the connector producer. So according to the emulation cable details document it is pin 18.

Best regards,
Patrick

Return to “Dataman S4”