XC1701LPC20I and MCS file

Topics related to the Dataman 48Pro2
IntegraUser

XC1701LPC20I and MCS file

Postby IntegraUser » 20 Apr 2023 15:38

Hello,
According to device notes an MCS file is recommended for programming this device. I wasn't able to create MCS file from .bit file using Xilinx Impact software as I get error. But I was able to create a stpl file using the svf file from the same project the .bit file was created from. So in other words I have two versions (.svf and .bit) of programming file from my FPGA design but cannot generate a MCS file, only STPL file. I was able to program my XC1701L using the STPL file. Since the XC1701LPC20I is an OTP though I would like to understand why Dataman recommends the MCS? I don't want to ruin a bunch of parts using the STPL file.

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: XC1701LPC20I and MCS file

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 25 Apr 2023 15:58

Hello IntegraUser,

.bit file is an internal Xilinx file for iMPACT which creates MCS file, which is (Intel HEX format) file according to the selected CFG device.

If you receive an error when creating MCS file from the .bit file, then this means the Stapl file will also be defective. Have you discussed this with the author of the .bit file or with Xilinx?

Please note: we do not support indirect programming of CFG devices over FPGA using Stapl file.

If you have any further questions, please contact me.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Dataman 48Pro2”