help with reading

Topics related to the Dataman 48Pro2
bld47

help with reading

Postby bld47 » 14 Oct 2014 16:08

We recently purchased the 48Pro2 for the purpose of reading a large amount of 48 and 44-pin eproms. We are slot machine regulators, and have no need for programming, only reading. All of our chips are covered with a label which would be to time/cost consuming to remove which is why we purchased this particular model, we need to be able to read the chips without knowing the manufacture, type etc. We were able to Select by EPROM/Flash by ID once on a 44-pin chip, but now when we try that (on the same chip) it tells us that that function is not yet supported for 44-pin chips. Thanks in advance for your help

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Re: help with reading

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 15 Oct 2014 08:32

Hello bld47,

Not all EPROM devices support the AutoID feature but without knowing exactly which EPROM devices you are working with I cannot check the situation.

The 48Pro2 does offer an AutoID feature, here is what the manual has to say about it:

DEVICE / SELECT EPROM/FLASH BY ID

Use this command for autoselect an EPROM or FLASH as active device by reading the device ID. The programmer can automatically identify certain devices by the reading the manufacturer and the device-ID that are burnt into the chip. This only applies to EPROM or FLASH that supports this feature. If the device does not support a chip ID and manufacturer's ID, a message will be displayed indicating this as an unknown or not supported device.

If more devices with identical chip ID and manufacturer's ID were detected, the list of these devices will be displayed. A corresponding device can be chosen from this list by selecting its number (or manufacturer name) from list and press <ENTER> (or click OK button). Press a key <ESC> or click Cancel button at any time to cancel device selection without affecting the currently selected device.

WARNING: The control program only support this time EPROM's and FLASH with 28 and 32 pins in standard pinout. Any of programmers determines pins number automatically.

The programmer applies a high voltage to the appropriate pins on the socket. This is necessary to enable the system to read the device ID. Do not insert into the socket a device that is not an EPROM or FLASH. It may be damaged when the programmer applies the high voltage.

We don't recommend to apply this AutoID function to:

1) 2764 and 27128 EPROM memories. Most of them don't have ID.
2) Flash memories with non-standard pinout (e.g. Firmware Hub Flash)
3) Flash memories, which don't accept Vid voltage at A9 pin
4) low voltage EPROM and Flash memories

I hope this explains the situation in a bit more detail.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

bld47

Postby bld47 » 15 Oct 2014 14:43

Thank you for your response. The chip tested is M27C4002 40-pin, which I previously stated as being 44, oops. We also had one of our techs test a M27V160 and got the same result.

Dataman (Neil Parker)

Postby Dataman (Neil Parker) » 17 Oct 2014 10:16

Hello bld47,

There are 42 (and 44) pin EEPROMs which have different pinouts, different locations of GND/VCC/address/etc. pins, therefore we see no way to implement this function correctly without potential damage to the device in the programmer.

Of course, we could implement the AutoID function that works for about 50%-70% of EPROM/Flash chips but damages the others. But we do not believe it is wise to have a "kill my chip" function on our programmers.

Best regards,

Neil Parker
Dataman Programmers

Return to “Dataman 48Pro2”